Wednesday, July 22, 2009

OCD? Who's OCD? I'm not OCD.....

It's 5:50, and I spent the day sitting in front of my laptop with D5 and CAFE spread open, along with my spiral bound calendar, a pile of post-its, 5 different colored pens, and 3 empty cans of soda. Well, at least they were empty by 4:00.

I am feeling good! I typed up my daily schedule, broken into 15 minute chunks just as my principal so thoughtfully gave to us. And then I sat there. And sat there. And sat there. The first steps are always the hardest, right?

The dilemma is this: do I jump right into the D5 and CAFE on the first day, just as the sisters do? Or do I follow a more RC method and teach the kids expectations and do explorations with crayons and scissors? Or can I accomplish laying out expectations and setting the tone for the year going the D5/CAFE route?

I'm trying my darnedest to Feel The Force, but I feel like I'm stretching my bare toes over unknown territory.

So I just did it. I mean, the hell with it. Why wouldn't jumping into D5 on the first day work? So I decided to not run scared and just plan how I really wanted to plan. And now I have re-written out the first 5 lessons I plan to teach, straight out of the books, and a nicely roughed in first two entire days.

And it only took 6 hours!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes! Jump right in! That's my plan! =) I'm glad I will be taking this journey with a lot of support from around the globe.
    -Jenn (PT user AlohaJenn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I the past I have waited a few days to start the D5, but our first day of school is always on a Wednesday, which then it's three odd days of lessons and then a weekend. I like to start D5 on a full week, but this year I'm going to try a first day start! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete